Judith L. Oakes
I enjoy the challenge of assisting clients through a very stressful time in their lives using my natural empathy, understanding of the law, and negotiation and litigation skills to assist the client in making good choices for their children and their future financial security.
My interests outside of the office include yoga, gardening, cooking, entertaining, dining, reading and travel.
Certifications & Awards
- MSBA Board Certified Specialist
- AV Rated
- Civil Trial
- Minnesota State Bar Association President’s Award, 1988.
- Service to Minnesota Women Lawyers Award, 2001.
- Certificate of Distinguished Service, Minnesota Women Lawyers, 2007
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 1969
- Hamline University, B.A., 1966
- Minnesota Supreme Court, 1969
- Federal District Court, District of Minnesota, 1969
- Circuit Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, 1972
- United States Supreme Court, 1981
- Circuit Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 1983
Peer Review, Registration and Certification:
- Minnesota Super Lawyer 2006 – Present
- Martindale Hubbell A-V Rating 2000 to 2010
- Civil Trial Specialist Certification, 1989 to 2010
Publications and Seminars:
- “Advanced Issues in Child Support”, 2008; update, 2010 Family Law Financial Deskbook, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education
- “Calculating Spousal Maintenance”, 2006, Minnesota’s New Child Support Law, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education
- “UCCJA: Quagmire or Road Map” Minnesota Family Law Journal, July/August, 1990
- Ms. Oakes is a regular presenter of seminars and related written materials on family law issues
- President, University of Minnesota Law School Alumni Board of Directors, 2006-08
- Co-Chair, 1969 Class Gift Committee, University of Minnesota Law School
- President, MSBA Bar Foundation Board, 1999-2002
- Chair, Minnesota Women Lawyers Appointments Committee, Judicial Elections 1998 to 2007
- Co-Chair, RCBA Families First Day Committee, 1995 to 1997
- Co-Chair, MSBA Spousal Maintenance Guideline Committee, 1991 to 1993
- Member, Supreme Court Board of Continuing Legal Education, 1989 to 1995
- President, Minnesota Women Lawyers, 1974 to 1976
- She is a current member of Minnesota Women Lawyers, Minnesota State Bar Association, Ramsey County Bar Association and Hennepin County Bar Association, and as served on various committees and in leadership positions in all four organizations.